Friday, January 11, 2008

From the Archives

So, I just typed in “welcome to my world” in my Gmail and came up with some classics, along with a few I didn’t even remember …

February 7, 2007
Allison
Just wanted to let you know that I drove into work today so I could avoid walking to the metro in the cold and snow. Instead, I ended up walking to the gas station in the cold and snow when I ran out of gas 8 blocks from work. picture me in heels and a skirt in the 20 degree weather running down a slippery sidewalk to a gas station (which I think ended up being further from my car than my office), then all the way back carrying two gallons of gas.

the funny thing is that I actually got to work earlier than usual. go figure. :)

May 8, 2006
Allison
I went to the police station on Saturday to get a clearance so I could volunteer, and they told me I had to come back on Monday. So I went this morning before work and when they gave me my clearance, it said I had a DWI in 2001 and did jail time for it. So I got that all straightened out, got to work late, and when I got there realized I left my laptop at home. I had to go back and get it. By the time I got to work it was like 11:00 and I had made my commute 3 times in the rain plus a trip to the police station. Happy Monday to me!

September 13, 2005
Emily
Ok, so I have been waking up at 6:30 every morning for my student teaching to get ready, get Ethan fed and ready for the day, and get breakfast and get to school by 8:15. We had a power surge a few months ago that zapped my alarm clock and I finally got a new one to replace it. So, on Monday I set my alarm and set my phone just to make sure my new alarm was working. Both of them went off so I figured I was all set. PLUS, even on a Saturday I am lucky if I can get Ethan to sleep in until 7:30. PLUS, my blood sugar usually is calling for breakfast by 8:00, PLUS Kyle grew up on a farm and he wakes up with the sun. So, I have about 5 back up systems for making sure I get up in the morning. Well, last night I stayed up really late putting away groceries and making baby food, and thinking about what I can say to these students today (2 high school students were killed in a car accident this weekend so it's been pretty sober and heavy around the high school). Ethan ate his last meal pretty late because I was at the grocery store and then he wasn't very sleepy and probably didn't go to bed until 9:45 or 10:00. Kyle was working until close at Wendy's and I was actually still awake when he got home... anyway, so I set my alarm for 7:00 instead of 6:30 and...

This morning Kyle wakes up and taps me on the shoulder and says, "um Em, do you know what time it is?" And I looked at the clock at it was 8:51!!!! I was supposed to be at school by 8:15 and I didn't even wake up until almost 9!! So Kyle is too tired from working late to wake up with the sun anymore, Ethan was on a crazy schedule yesterday so he didn't wake up, I had had a low blood sugar before I went to bed and must have overtreated it so I woke up high, and my fabulous new alarm has a quirk that I must have overlooked. Plus, since I'm only nursing morning and night, I don't wake up from needing to feed Ethan .Meanwhile, I missed two days last week from being sick and I didn't even show up this morning until I could freak out and grab stuff and go. Oh man. But, Mr. Hinck was up painting his living room unitl 2:00 in the morning so when I told him the story he thought it was pretty funny. Ah, life. I want to welcomed OUT of the welcome to my world club, please.

Allison’s response:
Em -- I feel for you. Sorry I can never be the one to welcome you out of that world -- I think I'm in it permanently. I don't think I can top your story, but check this out: Last week I borrowed some hedge trimmers to do the bushes in our front yard, and none of the four extension cords in our basement would work with them. I suddenly realized that the end of the Christmas lights cord was shaped perfectly, so plugged it in and there I was, with a string of white twinkle lights trailing behind me as I trimmed all the bushes in our front yard (it was dusk so you could really see them -- one of my friends drove by and called out, "Christmas isn't for four more months!") Anyway, it worked great -- until I had only half of a little bush left, and the hedge trimmers ate the Christmas lights :( They aren't really heavy-duty-meant-for-yardwork cords.

Anyway, welcome back in. It's great to have you here in my world.

Mom’s response:
I guess I'll join you just so I won't be lonesome. When I was getting everything de-cluttered and gleaming to show the house, I cleared the George Foreman grill off of the counter tomake it look more spacious. So now, the house is sold, Dad is out of town, and I'm hungry. And George is no where to be found. No where. Where could I have put it???? And the worst....I was cleaning the toilet just now in the main floor bathroom, and the rag got away from me and I couldn't get it back. Great. It went down. So will it clog the sewer again??? I do NOT need a flood right now. So I'm going around the house flushing, flushing, flushing to keep things moving.

August 25, 2005
Allison
So I was having this great morning, because Jen made me French toast for breakfast and then Latricia drove me all the way to the metro. No sooner was I on the metro, however (in a very crowded car, I might add) than I reached into my purse for my book, and just as I did so, the metro driver slammed on the brakes and I went FLYING. Seriously -- I was flailing around, trying to find a bar to grab onto, but nothing. I hit the ground. It even broke the skin on my knee. Umm, EMBARRASSING!! How has YOUR morning been?

No comments: